NEWS:
    Menu
    #F1 News: Kovalainen open to McLaren return 08/08/2012 8:08am
    2012 August 08
    Steve Etherington's images from the 2011, German Grand Prix -   Friday. Image © Steve Etherington - 22nd Jul 2011 - www.f1reports.com

    2012: Grosser Preis Santander Von Deutschland - Hockenheim - www.f1reports.com F1 - 2012 - Hockenheim - Grosser Preis Santander Von Deutschland

    #F1 News: Nurburgring cannot afford Ecclestone's fee

    Aug.8 (GMM) A Nurburgring official has admitted the German circuit cannot afford to host formula one next year.

    As per the existing German GP alternating scheme with Hockenheim, the Nurburgring was due to return to the sport's calendar in 2013.

    But the venue has succumbed to its financial problems, recently commencing an insolvency process.

    The future looked brighter last week, when the governing Rhineland-Palatinate state agreed to guarantee a loan so that the Nurburgring can service its debts.

    Nurburgring Automotive GmbH (NAG) chief Jorg Lindner said: "I am very optimistic that formula one will be going to the Nurburgring next year."

    He said talks with Bernie Ecclestone would take place over the summer.

    "We don't want to lose any of the racetracks, and we need to keep the race in Germany," said F1's chief executive, Ecclestone. "We will do our best."

    But the Nurburgring's development chief, Thomas Schmidt, has dealt the situation a renewed blow by revealing that Ecclestone would have to dramatically reduce or even forgo F1's race sanctioning fee.

    Schmidt told DPA news agency that, in the "current situation", the Nurburgring cannot afford to pay that sort of money.

    "If Ecclestone accepts an offer without this typical fee, we can certainly keep formula one," he said.

    Otherwise, "We simply don't have the money", Schmidt admitted.

    He said he is "confident" a solution will ultimately be found, but warned that an F1 race is "not absolutely necessary" for the Nurburgring's survival.

    JUMP STATION/POWER SEARCH
    Use the form below to navigate the entire site. This covers ALL articles by ALL contributors...
    comments powered by Disqus
    #F1 News: Button rules out sharing Ferrari with Alonso 08/08/2012 8:08am

    #F1 News: Button rules out sharing Ferrari with Alonso

    GMMf1NET

    August 8th 2012

    Aug.8 (GMM) Jenson Button has revealed he would only consider becoming Fernando Alonso's Ferrari teammate "in a parallel universe". Read More...

    #F1 News: Qualifying the key to 2013 race seat - Senna

    GMMf1NET

    August 8th 2012

    Aug.8 (GMM) Bruno Senna has conceded he needs to up his game in qualifying in order to secure his future at Williams. Read More...

    #F1 News: Force India eyes F1 return for Chris Dyer

    GMMf1NET

    August 7th 2012

    Aug.7 (GMM) Triple title winning engineer Chris Dyer could be set to return to formula one. Read More...

    #F1 News: 'All teams' ready to enter 2013 season - Whitmarsh

    GMMf1NET

    August 7th 2012

    Aug.7 (GMM) Despite the current Concorde Agreement uncertainty, all 12 competing F1 teams will almost certainly line up on the 2013 grid. Read More...

    More