NEWS:
    Menu
    #F1 News: Clos 'trusts' HRT to deliver Friday promises 15/02/2012 9:09am
    2012 February 15
    Steve Etherington's images from Bahrain on Friday. Image © Steve Etherington - 24th Apr 2009 - www.f1reports.com

    2012: Gulf Air, Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir - www.f1reports.com F1 - 2012 - Sakhir - Gulf Air, Bahrain Grand Prix

    #F1 News: Ecclestone, FIA, circuit say Bahrain GP still on

    Feb.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has played down the latest reports about violence in Bahrain, insisting April's 2012 race is still scheduled to go ahead.

    On the one-year anniversary of the 'Day of Rage' unrest, international media agencies claimed violent clashes took place, with youths throwing rocks and petrol bombs and police hitting back with tear-gas, rubber bullets and stun grenades.

    "The only message I got was that there were some kids in trouble with the police," F1 chief executive Ecclestone told the Telegraph.

    "We are planning to go. People there seem confident that a race two months away will be alright."

    At the Jerez test last week, it was suggested teams were expressing concerns about Bahrain.

    But Ecclestone insists: "The teams are not the slightest bit concerned. They seem happy that things will go ahead without problems.

    "Last year was a more clear-cut decision not to go but things have changed a lot since then."

    In recent days, however, F1 has been the subject of a high profile row about the event, with influential figures and political parties publicly debating whether the sport is right or wrong to return to Bahrain.

    "We've always been non-political," said Ecclestone, 81. "Any decision will be made on grounds of safety."

    But an FIA spokesman said the "staging of a grand prix would be beneficial in bridging some of the difficulties Bahrain is experiencing".

    And a spokesman for the Bahrain International Circuit told CNN: "We are entirely confident that the race can be and will be an excellent event.

    "The FIA has said that there is no reason why the grand prix should not go ahead."

    The unnamed spokesman also compared Bahrain's problems of the last twelve months with London's riots last August.

    "There's no doubt that (in Bahrain) there have been some small riots, nothing like on the scale that we saw in London," he insisted.

    "When it comes to being in and around the track, the drivers and the teams will be extremely safe. Absolutely, totally confident about that."

    JUMP STATION/POWER SEARCH
    Use the form below to navigate the entire site. This covers ALL articles by ALL contributors...
    #F1 News: Schumacher to be first to test new Mercedes 15/02/2012 9:09am

    #F1 News: Schumacher to be first to test new Mercedes

    GMMf1NET

    February 15th 2012

    Feb.15 (GMM) Michael Schumacher will beat Nico Rosberg to the wheel of Mercedes' 2012 car. Read More...

    #F1 News: McLaren signs former driver Magnussen's son

    GMMf1NET

    February 15th 2012

    Feb.15 (GMM) McLaren has signed up the son of a former team driver to test its 2012 formula one car later this year. Read More...

    #F1 News: Doubts remain about Red Bull 'cooling' inlet

    GMMf1NET

    February 14th 2012

    Feb.14 (GMM) When Adrian Newey said a mysterious 'letterbox slot'- shaped air inlet in the stepped nose of his new RB8 car is for driver cooling, a wave of speculation eased. Read More...

    #F1 News: Vergne vows to keep 'tension' low with Ricciardo

    GMMf1NET

    February 14th 2012

    Feb.14 (GMM) Jean- Eric Vergne has revealed he will try to keep the "tension" down to a minimum inside the Toro Rosso garage in 2012. Read More...

    More